Tuesday, June 21, 2016

My First Year As A Paperless Classroom

A few short weeks ago concluded my 18th year in the classroom and my first year going paperless (or as paperless as I was able to get).  I learned quite a few things over the course of this year.  I learned what worked pretty well and what I need to work on for the future.  But before I get into that, here is some background:

I began my teaching career with the 1998-1999 school year.  I was hired to teach math, computer applications, and web page design in a middle school.  I really didn't know much about any of the topics I was hired to teach.  I spent a lot of time that first year teaching myself how to do everything.  With the computer classes in particular, I was literally one week ahead of the concepts I was teaching to my students.  Of course, it got easier as I went along and I developed a love of all things technology. 

When I transferred to another school district, I was hired to teach math only.  I really missed the technology, but I loved my new district and thought that the trade off was pretty good.  Fast forward to about a year ago.  Over time, I have learned to listen very carefully to that little voice inside that guides me and prompts me to do certain things.  Call it the Holy Ghost, intuition, or whatever.  I have learned that when it talks, I had better listen.  So this voice told me to shake things up.  I was fortunate enough to receive a class set of 25 small laptops to use in my classroom the following year.  I feel extremely lucky that I asked the right person, in the right place, at the right time for this.  

So all that summer, I researched.  I had a vague plan with an idea for implimentation, but no clear set plans.  So I got to work....

No comments:

Post a Comment